Amar’e Stoudemire is (almost officially) a New York Knick. The coveted big man is ready to put his signature on a five-year contract that will net him nearly $100 million. This clearly has implications for his fantasy value, which surged in the latter part of last season. While his wallet might have gotten a lot fatter, his fantasy value has done the opposite.
More in-depth analysis of this and other big free agency signings will come once contracts are made official after Thursday, but for now, here’s a quick rundown of why STAT will have a down fantasy season, with the current Knicks roster:
- he won’t have a point guard who plays anywhere near the level of Steve Nash
- he’ll have to adjust to playing with another point guard
- defenses will be able to hone in on shutting him down on a thinner team than his former Suns
- the clock continues to tick until his next serious injury
- the looming threat of post-contract blues
What do you think? Is Stoudemire guaranteed to take a step back for fantasy owners this season, or is he set to finally take off in an offense that’s more centered around him? Let us know in the poll below.